With Cinco De May just a couple days away, thought I’d share one of my favorite recipes (check it out here) that you can make for your fiesta this weekend! Tacos are always a hit, even with the pickiest eaters. It’s also a quick and easy thing to make when serving a crowd. You are really just prepping the basics, then build a toppings bar area for people to put on whatever they like and that’s it! Offer up some shredded lettuce, pickled jalapenos, refried or black beans, salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream are just a few options.
This recipe is healthy and super simple but doesn’t lack flavor! Feel free to add more spice or other flavors to your personal liking, but this seasoning mix is a pretty standard combo for most tacos. Want a bit more heat, throw in a dash of cayenne! Not a fan of ground turkey? Use ground beef or ground chicken, or you could even add some oil to the spice blend to make a marinade for grilled chicken or steak tacos! The options are truly endless.
Trying to work on that summer body? Then put the mixture on a bed of arugula or swap lettuce wraps for your tortillas instead! It cuts the calories by A LOT, so you can have a bit more guacamole or another margarita! Enjoy!
Serving Size – 4 (who am I kidding though, I ate ½ of this by myself, it’s really that good!)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt (can add more to taste)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ small onion, minced
- ½ bell pepper, minced (I used a green one)
- ¾ cup water (can add a few tablespoons more if too dry)
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas, lettuce wraps and your favorite toppings (salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream etc)