Ok, yes, the name is probably scaring you all, but come on, what could be so scary about brownies! Sweet, gooey, moist, decadent chocolate brownies! I have insatiable sweet tooth, so I always need some type of dessert around. Not the best thing to have when you are trying to drop some pounds and stick to your half-marathon training plan, so I put my head down to try and find something that’ll satisfy my cravings but not derail my progress. And I think I’ve done it!
I’ve heard of plenty of recipes that involve beans, from chick peas to red beans and black beans, and I never thought I’d be the one to try them myself. Not the biggest fan of beans, except coffee beans, so this was a stretch for me, but it works, and holy moly does it work! Here they are, the best (yes I am saying the best, and I mean it!) brownies I have ever had, BLACK BEAN BROWNIES!!!! The ingredient list may have you questioning life and will test your trust in me, but go with it! Give them a whirl! Perfect addition to your romantic Valentine’s day dinner!!!
1 (14 oz) canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon oil
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (or dairy, skim)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (yes I know weird but it adds some balance!)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground coffee or instant coffee (Love me some Folders!)
1/2 – 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (amount and flavor is really up to you. peanut butter chips or white chocolate can work too!!! – Hell throw m&m’s in here!)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease a nonstick 9 x 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
- Blend everything else besides the chocolate chips till smooth!
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and then top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake the brownies until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 to 32 minutes.